Sunday, February 20, 2011

New Normal

The lump is visiable now. On the side of my neck. It used to be just a little tender spot on the lymph node, and now it’s clearly grown. Only if you’re looking for it…but it’s there. I was getting ready for the play tonight and pulling my hair back and there it was, the alien toxin on the side of my neck. Even though I knew only I and close family would notice, I was embarrassed. Like I was branded.

My mom calls our lives the “New Normal.” I just don’t know how I’m going to deal with this pain for another two weeks and then surgery and then the real fun begins.

Tonight, we had a family date at Deep Dish Theater. I rarely go to the theatre just because I want to go. Usually it’s because I know someone in the cast or I’m trying to network or something. Okay, I was trying to network a little bit, some volunteer work to get my face in the scene. The show is called “Superior Donuts,” by Tracy Letts, who is definitely emerging as a prominent voice in American playwrights, if he hasn’t already done so. The show revolves around an aging hippie who owns an independent donut shop in the land of Starbucks and Dunkin’ Donuts, and his relationship with his young black employee. It’s a comedy at times, but also takes some dark turns. Lots of themes about race and immigrants and the American Dream.  I was pleasantly moved. I love a good American drama.

No comments:

Post a Comment