Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Just call me FrankenGinny

All those years of feeling insecure and dropping your head down away from people is going to kill you!


Maybe.

I seem to have fallen victim to something entitled “Acute Disk Prolapse”. In layman’s terms I have a slipped disk in my neck vertebrae. Which means I feel a very specific sharp pain in the left side of my neck almost all the time. My neck had been irritating me since the beginning of the summer and honestly I had been ignoring it hoping it would go away. But it didn’t. Then it got to the point where my headaches wouldn’t stop and I couldn’t turn my neck over my left side. Fun. Now I find myself with two Physical Therapy (which is kind of like getting a massage, only not as fun.) appointments a week.

Apparently this is fairly common. For 40-somethings who’ve sat at their desks for 15 years. I guess my body has always been quicker to mature than others. Ha. At the very least, maybe I can put some bolts in my neck and have a cah-razy costume for Halloween. Just call me FrankenGinny.

Also, I tried to make myself feel better by downing 10 or so ibeprofun a day. Clearly, I'm ignorant when it comes to anti-inflammotaries and should read more backs of bottles. Despite the fact that it did numb the pain temporarily, take a lesson from the woman who was revisiting her beef strogonoff in the middle of the night: do NOT take that many pills on a regular basis.

I’m hoping that a couple of weeks of PT will help because it is no fun to wake up physically miserable every single morning. So right at this point in my life where I have so much to do, I have to slow down and R-E-L-A-X because my body has it in for me. Which really requires a little more planning, a little more saying "no" and a lot more laying on the floor stretching my neck thinking "how the hell did I get myself into this?"

No comments:

Post a Comment